Erasmus+ in the United Kingdom

Following the decision made by government of the United Kingdom (UK), the UK does not participate in the new Erasmus + program (2021-27). How does this affect the Erasmus+ student mobilities?
To apply to universities in the UK, please visit our Erasmus+ International Credit Mobility website. We would like to call the attention of students preparing their mobility to the UK to read and pay attention to the changes of entry and other regulations.

Please note that this website is being updated.

Health Insurance

As of 1 January 2021, the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will no longer entitle you to emergency patient care in the UK, therefore it is necessary to take out comprehensive travel / health insurance to cover the duration of the trip. We would like to draw the attention of our students who won Erasmus+ mobility to the United Kingdom with a starting date after 1 January 2021, to the fact that the existence of a health insurance valid for the entire mobility period is mandatory in order to receive the Erasmus + grant and to start the mobility.


(This section only details the changes of entry regulations for EU citizens. For Non-EU citizens the same entry regulations apply as usual. More information here.)

On 31 December 2020, free movement between the UK and the EU ceased. As of 1 January 2021, the UK introduced a points-based immigration system for stays longer than 6 months. In case of entry for up to 6 months, EU citizens can still stay in the UK without a visa. Until 1 October 2021, all EU citizens will also have the opportunity to enter with an identity card, but we recommend using a passport, mainly to facilitate travel home. Typical visa-free entry  include tourism, family visits, a business meeting, attending a conference, or even studying for a period not exceeding 6 months. However, employment (and internships) are not possible in the context of a visa-free stay.
What does this mean for different types of mobility?

Erasmus Study Exchange

  • Stay less than 6 months

Hungarian students arriving in the UK after 1 January 2021 do not need to apply for a visa if they will stay in the country for less than six months. The passport must be presented at the border, the Letter of Acceptance issued by the host university, the Erasmus + scholarship certificate issued by the sending university and the proof of accommodation can be requested. You can read more information here.

  • Stay longer than 6 months

EU citizens who are going to Erasmus studies to the UK, arrive in the UK after 1 January 2021 and wish to stay for more than six months must apply for a so-called Student Visa before entry. You can read more by clicking here.

Erasmus Traineeship

It is not possible to carry out Erasmus Traineeships without visa. The required visa is the Temporary Worker - Government Authorized Exchange visa (T5). You can read more about the T5 visa by clicking here.


To complete an internship in the UK, you must obtain a so-called T5 GAE Sponsorship Certificate and a T5 GAE Visa. Prerequisite for visa administration is obtaining a sponsorship certificate. It can take up to 8 weeks to obtain a sponsorship certificate and visa, so please begin obtaining the documents to submit your sponsorship certificate in time, at least 3-4 months before departure. The visa costs £55. We recommend not to plan your trip until you have obtained a visa and avoid the costs associated with mobility.

Step 1: Obtain Preliminary Information

  • The internship should be related to your studies. In addition, in consultation with the host institution, make sure that the position is at least in the NVQ Level 3 category and that you will be employed in a supernumerary work placement.
  • Getting information about the immigration system; on entry, testing and quarantine rules.
  • Liability and accident insurance: Mandatory. It is important to ask the host institution if they can stand or it is their own responsibility to organize and pay for it. You do not have to be already insured when you apply for a sponsorship certificate, but keep in mind that the insurance is a condition for the transfer of an Erasmus scholarship and the start of mobility.
  • Health insurance surcharge: All participants must complete the questionnaire here to find out if they have to pay a health insurance surcharge.
  • Inquire at the host institution to get to know if a Criminal record check is required for the practice. Only required if you are working on children or adults that is regulated. You can read more about this here: regulated activity in relation to children and / or adults. The host institution must be consulted on the need to carry out the check.
  • Check the following documents before and during the preparation of the documents listed in point 2:
  • T5 application form
  • Higher Education Guidance


  • Letter of Acceptance from the host institution
    • On letterhead paper; stamped, signed and dated. If the host institution does not have a stamp, they must confirm this by e-mail.
    • Must include: the exact title of the internship; a description of the tasks to be performed; the starting and ending dates; the following sentence: I, the undersigned, confirm that this work placement / mobility is supernumerary, i.e. it is not part of normal staffing requirements and not filling a job vacancy.
  • Copy of all pages of the passport (including front and back)
  • Make sure you have a valid passport for the entire duration of your mobility and it is valid for 6 months from the time you plan to travel home.
  • Completed Learning Agreement for Traineeships
  • Study results of previous semesters in English certified by the Department of Studies (Transcript of Records)
  • Study results from previous semesters in English from Neptune, saved in Excel format. You can find help here.
  • Completed T5 application form
  • Criminal record check for overseas participants
  • Only required if you are working on children or adults that is regulated. You can read more about this here: regulated activity in relation to children and / or adults. Consult your host institution about the need to perform the inspection.
  • Contract with the host institution (dated and signed by all parties) Only required if you also receive payment at the host.
You can find help in completing and preparing the documents here: Higher Education Guidance. Please ensure that all documents contain consistent data and information. Send the documents in Word or PDF format (except for the study results downloaded from Neptun in Excel format) by one e-mail to After verifying the documents, the Erasmus + and International Programs Department will issue a Confirmation Letter from the sending university to the student, which is also required for the sponsorship certificate. The entire package will then be sent to the British Council, which is authorized to issue a sponsorship certificate, and the student will be notified. It can take up to 5 weeks from now on to review the certificate.


It is the student's responsibility to apply for a visa. The sponsorship certificate is valid for 3 months, so start the visa application process within 3 months of obtaining it. Obtaining a visa is expected within 3 weeks of starting the process.

More information

European Commission notice on Brexit 
UK governmental website on Immigration and Visa

For more information, contact the Erasmus/International Office of the receiving institution or or request information at