Anti-Semitism: a Historical, Social Psychological and Sociological Approach
The course starts with the introducion of Hungarian Jewry from social-historical, historical, judicial, political and economical aspects. Attention will be drawn to the main connections between these aspects. After the overwiew of the assimilative tendencies in the 19. Century and the discriminative ones in the 20. Century, studens will be introduced to the social-history of contemporary Hungarian Jewry. The aim of the couse is to make students capable of aproaching the topic from different angles.
- Kovacs, Andras. 1994. Anti-Semitism and Jewish Identity in Post-Communist Hungary. In.: Braham, Randolph L.: Anti-Semitismus and the Treatment of the Holocaust in Postcommunist Eastern Europe. Columbia University Press.
- Kovacs, Andras. 2003. Jewish Groups and Identity Strategies in Post-Communist Hungary. In.: Gitelman, Zvi – Kosmin, Barry – Kovacs, Andras (ed.): New Jewish Identities: Contemporary Europe and Beyond. CEU Press.
- Kovacs, Andras. 2004. Jews and Jewry in contemporary Hungary: results of a sociological survey. Institute for Jewish Policy Research.
- Kovacs, Andras. 2004. Hungarian Jewish Politics from the End of the Second World War until the Collapse of Communism. In.: Mendelsohn, Ezra (ed.): Jews and the State. Dangerous Alliances and the Perils of Privilege. Studies in Contemporary Jewry. Oxford University Press.
- Kovacs, Andras. 2006. Religiosity, Praxis and Tradition in Contemporary Hungarian Jewry. In.: Ben-Rafael, Eliezer – Gergely, Thomas – Gorny, Yosef (eds.): Jewry between Tradition and Secularism. Europe and Israel Compared. Brill.
- Kovacs, Andras. 2006. Hungarian Jews’ Perception of Anti-Semitism. In.: Braham, Randolph L. – Chamberlin, Brewster S. (eds.): The Holocaust in Hungary: Sixty Years Later. Social Sciences Monographs. Boulder, CO. Columbia University Press.
- Kovacs, Andras. 2010. Jews and Jewishness in post-war Hungary. In.: Quest. Issues in Contemporary History. Journal of the Fondazione CDEC, n. 1.
- Mendelsohn, Ezra. 1983. The Jews of East Central Europe between the World Wars. Indiana University Press.
- Patai, Raphael. 1996. The Jews of Hungary. History, Culture, Psychology. Wayne State University Press.