Nationalism and Ethnicity
The course’s aim is to introduce students in the field of nationalism, ethnicity and national minorities and to explain the theoretical framework of the topic. The course concentrates on the major theories and approaches to nationalism. Each class will start with a short lecture (30 minutes), where I will present the general framework of the topic. Students will have to present in 10-15 minutes one of the compulsory readings. This will be followed by discussions.
Students will have to read one or two articles or chapters for each course (20-30 pages). Students are encouraged to approach systematically the topics and take actively part in the discussions. There will be a strong emphasis on the understanding of the theories, and less on their applicability for particular cases. At the end of the semester students are required to submit a paper.
- Alter, Peter: Nationalism. London: Arnold, 1989.
- Balakrishnan, Gopal (ed.): Mapping the Nation. London & New York: Verso, 1996.
- Calhoun, Craig: Nationalism. Buckingham: Open University Press, 1997.
- Hutchinson, John and Smith, Anthony D. (eds.): Ethnicity. Oxford University Press, 1996.
- Hutchinson, John and Smith, Anthony D. (eds.): Nationalism. Oxford University Press, 1994.
- McCrone, David: The Sociology of Nationalism: Tomorrow’s Ancestors. London and New York: Routledge, 1998.
- Nairn, Tom: Faces of Nationalism: Janus Revisited. London: Verso, 1997.
- Smith, Anthony D.: Nationalism and Modernism: a critical survey of recent theories of nations and nationalism. London and New York: Routledge, 1998.
- Smith, Anthony D.: The Nation is History: Historiographical Debates about Ethnicity and Nationalism. University Press of New England, 2000.
- Leoussi, Athena S.: Encyclopedia of Nationalism. New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction Publishers, 2001.
- Motyl, Alexander J. (ed.): Encyclopaedia of Nationalism. San Diego, CA: Academic Press, (2 volumes), 2000.
- Snyder, Louis L.: Encyclopedia of Nationalism. Chicago & London: St. James Press, 1990.
- Hutchinson, John and Smith, Anthony D. (eds.): Nationalism: critical concepts in political science. London & New York: Routledge, (5 volumes), 2000.
- Sukumar Perival (ed.): Notions of Nationalism. Budapest: Central European University Press, 1995.
- O. Dahbour and M. R. Ishay (eds.): The Nationalism Reader. New Jersey: Humanities Press, 1995.
- Guibernau, Montserrat & Hutchinson, John (eds): Understanding Nationalism. Polity Press, 2001.
- Schöpflin, George: Nations, Identity, Power: The New Politics of Europe. London: Hurst & Co., 2000.