Theoretical Basis of Addiction Psychology: Evaluation of Interventions and Intervention Systems Targeting Treatment of Addiction Problems
There is an increasing need for the evaluation of interventions and intervention systems both on the side of professionals implementing and on the side of stakeholders financing the interventions. The methodology of evaluation is generally better elaborated concerning the outcome and process evaluation of interventions. At the same time however, the methodology of policy level evaluation is extremely complex, diverse assessment techniques and approaches are known and there is no real consensus on these among professionals (see more in Stern, 2007).
In the frame of this course participants review the different forms of program and intervention evaluation (RTC, quasi experimental assignment, pre-test/post-test, meta-analyses) and levels of evidence. Participants analyze specific programs/interventions and experiences of the evaluation studies of these interventions. They become familiar with the characteristics of evidence based/evidence informed programs, the actual content of best practices and relevant international databases (Cochrane, EDDRA, EMCDDA best practice portal). After reviewing the evaluation methods and experiences, the course focuses on methods of program planning, and best practices and recommendations in literature.
- European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction (1998). Guidelines for the evaluation of drug prevention. A manual for programme-planners and evaluators. Luxembourg: Office for Official Publications of the European Communities.
- European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction (2000). Evaluation: a key tool for improving drug prevention. Luxembourg: Office for Official Publications of the European Communities.
- European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction (2010). Prevention and Evaluation Resources Kit (PERK). Luxembourg: Office for Official Publications of the European Communities.
- McDonald, D. (2011). Developing and trialing a checklist of criteria for assessing the excellence of drug strategy documentation through assessing the respective qualities of the new (2010/2011) national drug strategies of the USA, the United Kingdom and Australia, International Society for the Study of Drug Policy Annual Conference, Utrecht, 23-24 May.
- Stern, E. (ed.) (2007). Evaluation research methods. Sage Publications.