Registration certificate for EEA Nationals

Citizens of the states of the European Economic Area (EEA) are entitled to enter the territory of the Hungarian Republic in possession of a valid identity card or passport and might stay, not exceeding 90 days, without any special authorization. 

EEA citizens planning to stay for more than 90 days in Hungary have to apply for the issuance of a registration certificate and for ther registration of residence

Before you arrive in Hungary

You need to have a valid identity card or passport to enter Hungary. You do not need to arrange anything else in advance.

After you arrive in Hungary

If you are an EEA student studying at ELTE for more than 90 days, you need to apply for a registration certificate.

How to apply for a registration certificate?

You need to submit your request with the required documents in person, at the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing

It is important that you clearly understand how you can arrange the registration certficate. Before submitting your application for a registration certficate, please read carefully the relevant pages on the official site of the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing.

Required documents

Completed form of “Data sheet for the issuance of registration certificate and for the registration of residence

Download it, print it and fill it in!

Valid passport or identity card


Certificate of student status/Certificate of school attendance

You can receive it at Quaestura Office or in person from your faculty coordinator.

Certificate of accommodation

• Dormitory certificate;
• Proof of student hostel;
• If you rent a flat: Lease Contract (the original document and a copy of it)

Certificate of the financial conditions

Scholarship, bank account statement, or a bank account statement of your parents and a declaration from your parents that they support you in a financial way, etc.

Certificate of health insurance

Any health insurance valid in the territory of EU e.g.; European Health Insurance Card

Declaration about the day of crossing the Hungarian Border - last time, no more than 90 days ago

Download it, print it and fill it in!

Registration fee: 1000 HUF 

The administrative service fee charged for the issue of a registration certificate is HUF 1,000, payable by way of electronic payment instrument (bank card) or in the form of bank deposit (using the cheque supplied by the regional directorate). In respect of yellow cheques, in the “comment” box the client’s name and date of birth, and the case type“registration certificate” shall be indicated.

(Individuals who have the right to free movement and residence, as well as citizens of third countries who study in Hungary with a Hungarian government scholarship or with a regular study allowance from the minister responsible for education are exempt from paying administration service charges according to point 2) c) of paragraph 5 of the Decree 28/2007 /31.05/ of the Ministry of Justice and Law Enforcement on the charges of administration related to the entry and residence of individuals who have the right to free movement and residence, as well as the citizens of third countries.)

Please note, that you will receive the registration certficate on the spot when you are at the Immigration and Asylum Office. You will receive the address card in an official letter by post on the address in Hungary that you declared on the registration form within two weeks after your visit at the Office.

Before you leave Hungary

Before you finish your studies at ELTE in Hungary and move back to your country, it is advisable to go back to the Immigration and Asylum Office and cancel your registration certificate and you address card as well.


Handout - Registration Card for EEA Nationals


Data sheet for the issuance of registration certificate and for the registration of residence


Declaration of Border Crossing


Guide to the registration for EEA nationals