Immunity Certificate

Information on vaccination and immunity certificates against COVID-19 virus

Information on vaccination and immunity certificates against COVID-19 virus

Both the Hungarian and foreign citizens in Hungary can take the vaccination against COVID-19. First, you must register at the official website by yourself. The health agencies will contact the registered person who can book an appointment according to the briefing letter (usually you can choose from many locations and time). It is a fast process though foreign citizens usually need to wait a few days.

The vaccination is free and can be requested without a TAJ-number (national health insurance number). The authorities send the immunity certificate to the Hungarian temporary address automatically within 10 days.

ELTE encourages every university citizen to take the vaccine as soon as possible. The most important is becoming protected but it is also important – even by the less strict epidemic rules - how can you certify in Hungary becoming protected in a foreign country.

For more information on how to register for vaccination in Hungary please see the detailed guide here.

Immunity Certificates

Hungary – especially with the amendments widely easing the measurements against the epidemic in effect from 3rd of July 2021 – has moderated at which services and activities is the immunity certificate necessary. But, considering the fast virulence and the appearance of different virus variants, it is still highly recommended to become protected and be able to certify it as future restrictions remain possible.

Accepted Certificates:

  • The bilingual, digital or printed Covid-certificate issued on request by a member state of the European Union is valid in every country of EU and it is also automatically accepted in Hungary. Like in the other member states, it allows free entering the country for the foreign citizens from 1st of July 2021. Types: vaccination certificate, recovery certificate, negative test certificate. This article provides more information about requesting the document.
  • The mutual acceptance of foreign immunity certificates is regulated in bilateral agreements between states. The consul service’s website lists these countries and shares the acceptable foreign sample documents.

The countriesAlbania, Bahrain, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Northern Macedonia, Georgia, Croatia, Kazakhstan, Morocco, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, San Marino, Republic of Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Ukraine, Uzbekistan. Please note that the list is constantly updated! 

  • Certificate issued by a country listed in MFAT Decree No. 17/2021 (V. 22.) on the unilateral recognition of immunity certificates.

The countriesRomania, Russian, Switzerland.

The acceptance of foreign certificates and issuing the Hungarian immunity certificate is regulated as below:

Based on the amendment of the Government Decree 60/2021. (II. 12.) about the certification of protection against the coronavirus in effect from 28th of June, by certifying

  • getting a vaccine allowed by the EU or Hungary in a country determined in the Government Decree 60/2021. (II. 12.) [paragraph 3.§ section (2a)] or

the Kormányablak (integrated government customer service) will issue the immunity certificate free of charge on the request of the Hungarian or foreign citizens legally being in Hungary more than 90 days within 180 days (almost every international student) in person or electronically within 15 days.

For more information on the accepted countries and the procedure for obtaining Hungarian and EU certificates, please see the detailed guide here.

In case you have received the vaccines in your country, but

  • the vaccines are not allowed by the EU or Hungary or
  • the certificate issued in your country is not acceptable in Hungary,

you can take a serological test in order to be issued with an immunity certificate. After the test, you can apply for the certificate through Kormányablak (preferably the one closest to your place of residence), presenting the result of your serological test and its invoice. This type of immunity certificate is valid for 4 months.

Continuing the vaccination that begun in a foreign country in Hungary

It is possible to continue the vaccination that begun in a foreign country in Hungary if the vaccine is allowed and currently used by Hungary (switching between different vaccines is not allowed as its safety is still a matter of scientific discussion). You must show the (foreign) certificate of getting the first vaccine to a family doctor (general practicioner) or at a vaccination site, and the medical staff will arrange the registration to your second vaccination.


Moving into a university dormitory is regulated by the Briefing of the ELTE Epidemiological Operative Coordinating Body (JOKT). According this text in effect on 3rd of June 2021, “Only a person with an immunity certificate can move into the dormitory, or alternatively with a medical certificate that serves as an exemption from vaccination and a negative PCR test. For foreign students we provide quarantine accommodation and separated accommodation until the vaccination is received.

We can only make exception from requesting an immunity certificate in case of newly in-travellers, they get time to prove being protected in a way that is accepted by the Hungarian state. Further information about moving in is included in the Letter of Acceptance of the dormitory that is sent to every student accepted to a dormitory.