1. Mutant analyis in nematodes (C. elegans) and files (D. melanogaster): allelic series (loss-of-function, reduction-of-function and gain-of-function mutations, penetrance, expressivity).
2. Epistatic analysis in worms (C. elegans) and flies (D. melanogaster). Double mutant analysis. Recessive epistatis, dominant epistasis, complementer inheritance, additive genetic interaction.
3. Dissecting genetic pathways in C. elegans (suppression) I. Analysis of the Ras/MAPK signalling pathway during vulval development in C. elegans. Recessive epistasis.
4. Dissecting genetic pathways in C. elegans (suppression) II. Analysis of the core apoptotic cell death pathway in C. elegans. Epistasis analysis.
5. Dissecting genetic pathways in C. elegans (suppression) III. Analysis of the insulin/IGF-1 and TGF-β signalling pathways using dauer larva formation defective nematode mutants. Epistatic relationships.
6. Gene silencing - RNA interference I: Analysis of RNAi phenocopies. "Double mutant" analysis with RNAi.
7. Gene silencing - RNA interference II: Designing and generatating RNAi clones (bioinformatic approach, designing PCR primers, cloning strategies, enzymatic digestion, ligation, transformation).
8. Genetic mapping in worms and flies. Determination of linkage groups. Calculating genetic distances by using recombinants progeny.
9. Gene expression analysis: using lacZ and gfp (green fluorescent protein) reporter systems. Analysis of transgenic strains, antibody staining.
10. Genetic transformation in C. elegans. Microinjection and gene gun-based approach.
11. In situ hybridization in worm and mouse embryos. Studying of cartilage-specific gene activity.
12. Using balancer chromosomes in studying non-viable mutants. Genetic mosaics.
Anthony J.F. Griffiths, Susan R. Wessler, Sean B. Carroll, John Doebley „An introduction to genetic analysis”, 10th edition, W. H. Freeman, 2010
SF Gilbert „Developmental Biology”, 7th edition, Palgrave Macmillan, 2003
EH Davidson „Genomic regulatory systems”, Academic Press 2002
B Lewin „Genes”, Jones & Bartlett Learning 2005