Immunity Certificate

Information on vaccination and immunity certificates against COVID-19 virus

Information on vaccination and immunity certificates against COVID-19 virus
Dear Students! From March 7, all restrictions that have linked traveling or the use of different services to an immunity certificate have been lifted in Hungary. However, considering the possible future appearance of different virus variants, it is still highly recommended to become protected and be able to certify it as future restrictions remain possible.

Both the Hungarian and foreign citizens in Hungary can take the vaccination against COVID-19. First, you must register at the official website by yourself. The health agencies will contact the registered person who can book an appointment according to the briefing letter (usually you can choose from many locations and time). It is a fast process though foreign citizens usually need to wait a few days.

The vaccination is free and can be requested without a TAJ-number (national health insurance number). In this case, a Residence permit (for non-EEA students) or a Registration certificate (for EEA students) is required for the registration. The authorities send the vaccination certificate to the Hungarian temporary address automatically within 10 days.

ELTE encourages every university citizen to take the vaccine as soon as possible. The most important is becoming protected but it is also important – even by the less strict epidemic rules - how can you certify in Hungary becoming protected in a foreign country.

For more information on how to register for vaccination in Hungary please see the detailed guide here.

Immunity Certificates

According to the new regulations, from 1 May 2022, the immunity certificate will be replaced by the vaccination certificate. Immunity certificates older than 6 months with only two vaccinations are valid until 1 May, from then, the validity of the certifiate can only be extended with the third vaccination! Please note that proof that you have been infected with the COVID-19 virus no longer entitles you to the certificate!

Accepted Certificates:

  • The bilingual, digital or printed Covid-certificate issued on request by a member state of the European Union is valid in every country of EU and it is also automatically accepted in Hungary. 
  • The mutual acceptance of foreign immunity certificates is regulated in bilateral agreements between states. The consul service’s website lists these countries and shares the acceptable foreign sample documents.

The countriesAlbania, Bahrain, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Northern Macedonia, Georgia, Croatia, Kazakhstan, Morocco, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, San Marino, Republic of Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Ukraine, Uzbekistan. Please note that the list is constantly updated! 

The acceptance of foreign certificates and issuing the Hungarian immunity certificate is regulated as below:

Based on the amendment of the Government Decree 60/2021. (II. 12.) about the certification of protection against the coronavirus in effect from 28th of June, by certifying

  • getting a vaccine allowed by the EU or Hungary in a country determined in the Government Decree 60/2021. (II. 12.) [paragraph 3.§ section (2a)] or

the Kormányablak (integrated government customer service) will issue the immunity certificate free of charge on the request of the Hungarian or foreign citizens legally being in Hungary more than 90 days within 180 days (almost every international student) in person or electronically within 15 days.

For more information on the accepted countries and the procedure for obtaining Hungarian and EU certificates, please see the detailed guide here.

Continuing the vaccination that begun in a foreign country in Hungary

It is possible to continue the vaccination that begun in a foreign country in Hungary if the vaccine is allowed and currently used by Hungary (switching between different vaccines is not allowed as its safety is still a matter of scientific discussion). You must show the (foreign) certificate of getting the first vaccine to a family doctor (general practicioner) or at a vaccination site, and the medical staff will arrange the registration to your second vaccination.


Moving into a university dormitory is regulated by the Briefing of the ELTE Epidemiological Operative Coordinating Body (JOKT). Having an Immunity Certificate is not a prerequisite of moving into the dormitory, but it is highly recommended. The dormitories do not provide quarantine places for the in-travelling students, only in exceptional cases and by the approval of the dormitory leader at least a week prior to the arrival.

Further information about moving in is included in the Letter of Acceptance of the dormitory that is sent to every student accepted to a dormitory.