Stipendium Hungaricum "Dissertation Scholarship"
Funding scheme for last-year PhD students
The Tempus Public Foundation has once again offered its new scholarship type for Stipendium Hungaricum doctoral students, who will obtain their pre-degree certificate (absolutorium) in the autumn semester of the academic year 2023/2024, but have not yet received their doctoral degree. The aim of the scholarship is to provide financial support for the students after they have completed their programme, and still need to stay in Hungary during the final research period, writing up their dissertation and preparing for defence. This scholarship type is expected to be available every semester, but the conditions might change.
Who can apply?
A student is eligible for the Dissertation Scholarship if she or he:
- is a doctoral student at ELTE,
- is financed by the Stipendium Hungaricum scholarship programme,
- completes their pre-degree certificate (also called absolutorium, issued upon completing all the necessary credits of their programme) during the autumn semester of the 2023/2024 academic year, but does not obtain their doctoral degree until August (the end of the semester),
- and it is essential for them to conclude their research in Hungary.
What does the scholarship include?
The scholarship allowances are similar to those in the Stipendium Hungaricum programme. The Dissertation Scholarship covers the following provisions:
- a contribution to the living expenses while living in Hungary:
- 180.000 HUF / month during the 1st, 2nd and 3rd months
- 140.000 HUF / month during the 4th, 5th and 6th months
- 43.700 HUF / month during the 7th and 8th months
- a free dormitory place or a contribution to the housing expenses are no longer included in the scholarship.
- eligibility for medical insurance for max. 65.000 HUF for the full awarded period (this is organized by the University).
The Stipendium Hungaricum dissertation scholarship is available for a maximum of 8 continuous months after your absolutorium. The first month will be February 2024, the last month you can apply for is September 2024.
The application will be reviewed by both ELTE and Tempus Public Foundation, so the awarded period might be shorter than the applied period.
The scholarship ends at the end of the awarded period or on the last day of the month when the scholarship holder sucessfully defends their dissertation, whichever comes first.
While the scope of this supplementary scholarship is very similar to the Stipendium Hungaricum scholarship programme, there are a few notable differences. In the framework of the Dissertation Scholarship. The student will need to establish a new student status with the University in early February.
Dissertation Scholarship holders:
- are still eligible for social security benefits, but they must renew their TAJ cards. If they miss this step, the card will expire in January 31;
- are still eligible for Residence Permit for the Purpose of Study, but this also must be renewed. If they miss this step, the card will expire in January 31;
- must decline the Doctoral Degree Stipend of 400.000 HUF which would be paid upon successful graduation.
Dissertation Scholarship holders are expected to stay and live in Hungary full time during their awarded period. The usual rules and obligations apply from the Stipendium Hungaricum Operational Regulations. Succesful applicants will be notified of the necessary details in due time.
Dissertation Scholarship holders are also expected to teach 4 classes (4 lessons in total within a single course) during the 2023/24 spring semester.
How to apply?
There is a big change this year in the application process because you have to apply through the the DreamApply system!
The online application system can be reached at apply.stipendiumhungaricum.hu. You will need your old DreamApply account which has been used for you doctoral studies. The applicants have to clone their previous applications and the fields that are common between the Appform they completed in the past, and the one they are filling out will be automatically filled out for them. Those applicants who did not apply for Stipendium Hungaricum through the DreamApply system (i.e., applicants before 2018 September) should contact Tempus Public Foundation at email@example.com.
Applications should be submitted;only saved applications will not be considered. Please note that no applications will be accepted without the online submission and after the deadline.
- Applicant Data Sheet
For this, download the form at the end of the page. Fill in all your data and add the length of all your other documents. This document needs to be signed by the applicant.
- Motivation Letter
For this, download the form at the end of the page. Take care to answer all the questions in detail.
Include any and all information to relevant to your application, e.g. participation in research groups, ongoing projects, teaching obligations. You must justify your need to stay in Hungary during this period.
- Work Plan
For this, download the form at the end of the page. You only need to fill the number of months you are applying for, the rest can be deleted.
- Class Plan
For this, download the form at the end of the page. You will need to teach four classes within one course. Add as much deatil as possible.
Your supervisor and your Faculty Doctoral Office will help you with this.
- Letter of Justification and Declaration of Support
There is a downloadable form for these documents at the end of the page. The personal data on this document must match the data on the Applicant Data Sheet. Both pages need to be completed and signed.
The Letter of Justification must be written by their supervisor(s) in Hungarian, and explain why the applicant needs the scholarship. It needs to be signed by the supervisor(s). The Declaration of Support must be signed by the Head of the Doctoral School.
As signatures take time to obtain please start preparing these documents in time.
You can find a guide with tips for a well-written application at the end of this page.
For further details (on the selection process, on the timeline) please read the Call for Applications very carefully.
- read the Call for Applications
- download the template for the Applicant Data Sheet
- download the template for the Motivation Letter
- download the template for the Monthly Work Plan
- download the template for the Class Plan
- download the template for the Letter of Justification
- download our guide for the application process