Visa/Residence permit

Visa/Residence permit

Visa procedure
Updated: 16.08.2023.
Dear Students! Please be informed that due to the Government Decree No. 77 of 2022 (III. 4.) on the termination of certain safety measures against the coronavirus pandemic, from 7 March 2022, travel restrictions previously imposed due to the epidemic situation have been lifted. In accordance with this, it is possible to enter the territory of Hungary by public road, railway, water and air traffic – regardless of citizenship and protection against the coronavirus –, but other general conditions of entry (e.g. a valid travel document) must be provided.

After you successfully pass the entrance exam, you receive an official notification from ELTE that you are admitted to the study program (a Letter of Acceptance  document is issued and sent to you). Before you start your studies at ELTE, you need to ensure your legal status in Hungary. Depending on which part of the world you are coming from to Hungary, choose the appropriate way to make your stay legal.

If you are a citizen of an EU/EEA member state (EEA = EU member states and Norway, Switzerland, Iceland, and Lichtenstein), you may travel to Hungary without a long-term study visa, but you need to obtain a registration card for the duration of your studies in Hungary. For more information, visit: EEA students - Registration certificate

If you are a citizen of a country that is not part of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to obtain a residence permit, and you need to register your accommodation after your arrival in Hungary. You may also need a visa! For more information, visit: Non-EEA students - Visa/Residence Permit 

Important information: non-EEA citizens who fall under visa obligation need to apply for the residence permit at a Hungarian embassy/consulate in their country, along with the visa.

Non-EEA citizens who travel to Hungary visa-free need to apply for a residence permit after their arrival in Hungary, online.

After you arrive in Budapest, you can arrange your registration card (EEA) or residence permit (non-EEA) online, on the Enter Hungary website of the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing (in Hungarian: Országos Idegenrendészeti Főigazgatóság), formerly known as Immigration and Asylum Office (in Hungarian: Bevándorlási és Menekültügyi Hivatal, abbreviated as BMH). On the website you can arrange registration card, first residence permit application, extension of residence permit and report of accomodation.

Please note that from 2023. 01. 01. all application must be submitted online (or in case of a D-visa at a Hungarian embassy/consulate) and cannot be submitted personally in the office! Exceptions can be made in special and vis maior cases which are supported by a request of equity.


Contact of the visa coordinator at ELTE

Ms. Kata Számel

Visiting address of the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing

Branch specifically for students!

Address: 1108 Budapest, District 10, 131 Harmat utca

Only with previously booked appointment! Book an appointment here

Read all info and see opening hours here!


Branch Office III (Budapest)

Address: 1135 Budapest, District 13, 35-37 Szegedi út (Twin Office Building, Ground floor)
Phone: +36 1 463 9100


Branch Office V (Budapest)

Address: 1135 Budapest, District 13, 35-37 Szegedi út (Twin Office Building, Ground floor)
Phone: +36 1 463 9100